About Me

My Photo
Initially diagnosed June 4, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage II,Grade II tumor size: 2-3 cm node positive ER/PR postive HER2 Neu - negative Current Diagnosis: Metastatic Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 Mets: Scalp/skin, Liver, Spine, Bone ER/PR + HER2/NEU -

Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2009

8 Down 4 to Go

Finished my 8th chemo treatment yesterday with a photographer from the Dallas Morning News in tow. A Dallas Morning News photographer you ask? Yes, a Dallas Morning News photographer went with us to chemo yesterday. Here's how it came about:

Back in July when I found out Jesse was going to be laid off, I called the American Cancer Society and spoke to an insurance advocate regarding our options. I wanted to know that we would be ok and would have insurance no matter what. I was concerned about what would happen if we could not afford the cobra and wanted to find out more information on the lapse in insurance and pre-existing condition clauses. Last week, she called and said that she had received a call from the Dallas Morning News requesting to talk to patients who had cancer in the DFW area and had faced difficult financial situations such as ours. She asked if I minded if she gave the reporter my contact information. I agreed to it, and the reporter called me. I spoke with him, answered some questions and he initially said a photographer would be out last Friday. Well, the photographer didn't show or call and I thought it was a dud deal. But, Monday the reporter called back and told me they were still interested in doing my story and that a photographer would be calling me. She called me Wednesday and asked if I minded if she came before chemo, followed me to chemo and videoed and photographed the entire process. I agreed to it.

She showed up Thursday around noon. We spoke for a while and she was very nice. She rode along with us in the car and asked questions while we drove. At the chemo office, they made me sign a special release. She followed me into the lab room for my labwork and then into the infusion room. Once in the infusion room, we tried sitting in the normal seating, but due to HIPAA privacy laws, they moved us to a special room. Anyhow, it helped pass the time at chemo as she asked both of us more questions and videoed.

After we got home, she talked to my daughter some and asked some more questions. She also took video of my shelf where I keep all the things my chemo angels and others have sent me. She told me the article should run in about 2 weeks and they would be in touch with me to tell me when. It will be in the paper as well as on the website, which is located here: http://www.dallasnews.com/ If you take the paper or check the website regularly and see it, and I haven't posted that I was told, please let me know.

Oh, and for those that are wondering, I decided to just go with a hat on. I didn't think I could handle dealing with that dang itchy wig during chemo, especially with a photographer there. I think I looked pretty good.. at least I hope so!


Post a Comment

Disqus for Aymz Blog