About Me

My Photo
Initially diagnosed June 4, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage II,Grade II tumor size: 2-3 cm node positive ER/PR postive HER2 Neu - negative Current Diagnosis: Metastatic Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 Mets: Scalp/skin, Liver, Spine, Bone ER/PR + HER2/NEU -

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

First Support Group

I was reading through the posts on the Metastatic Breast Cancer Networks Facebook page last night and saw a post regarding a phone support group for people who are living with metastatic breast cancer and decided to give it a try and see if it helped me.  I called in tonight and met 4 other women who made me feel much less alone.  In previous posts, I've commented on the loneliness of living with a chronic disease.  Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful support group of family and friends, but sometimes you need to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through.  These women did.  This is the first time since my diagnosis that I've actually talked to anyone who has this disease and it was awesome!

There were a variety of women on there of all ages.  We were all going through different treatments and had different amounts of time between our initial diagnosis and our metastatic diagnosis, but we all had so many things in common.  The emotions, the confusion, the journey of getting from diagnosis to acceptance.  We all share this.  It was very therapeutic to hear other people talk about having similar concerns and experiences, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next call in two weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Aymz Blog