About Me

My Photo
Initially diagnosed June 4, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage II,Grade II tumor size: 2-3 cm node positive ER/PR postive HER2 Neu - negative Current Diagnosis: Metastatic Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 Mets: Scalp/skin, Liver, Spine, Bone ER/PR + HER2/NEU -

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Lab tomorrow

Cold symptoms mostly gone today.I'm curious to see what my cbc lab results show tomorrow. The stat they track for neutropenia(low immune system or white blood cells) is the NEU # (ANC).  Normal is between 1.5 and 6.5.  My last cbc showed I was on the low end of normal at 2.4.  If it drops too low they give you a shot of Neupogen which causes your bones to produce more white blood cells, which boosts your immune system so you can safely continue your chemo treatments. 


I've been doing well on the Xeloda so far, with few side effects.  Yesterday I did start noticing a little hand and foot syndrome.  This is a side effect that occurs when the chemo leaks out if your capillaries (small blood vessels) in your hands and feet.  It causes damage to the skin, resulting in red, peeling, and irratated hands and feet.  If it gets worse you can get blisters which can get infected.  To help it, they advise taking cool showers and baths, and using non perfumed moisturizers and hands and feet regularly.  I've been doing these things to prevent it from getting worse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Aymz Blog