About Me

My Photo
Initially diagnosed June 4, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage II,Grade II tumor size: 2-3 cm node positive ER/PR postive HER2 Neu - negative Current Diagnosis: Metastatic Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 Mets: Scalp/skin, Liver, Spine, Bone ER/PR + HER2/NEU -

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2009

2nd Opinion Options

Spent some time today considering and researching second opinion options. I talked to several people, people who have had breast cancer, people in the medical field, and people at American Cancer Society. After looking at all the options, I've decided to try to get a second opinion from MD Anderson in Houston.

I know it's in Houston and a bit of an inconvenience, but we spoke to Jesse's sister and she has no problem with us staying with her for a week or so if we need to. I'm going to call them Monday and see if a week would be enough time to do whatever needs to be done to make an accurate second opinion. I really don't want to be gone longer than that. I also heard there is a chance it may be difficult to get in there. They are a world renowned cancer center and many people want treatment there. I don't plan to do treatment there at this time, but would value their opinion on my diagnosis and treatment. Information on MD Anderson can be found on their website which is located here.

If they are unable to take me in a reasonable period of time or I can't work out the specifics and get everything that needs to be done in that short of a period of time, I may go to Baylor or go with some of the recommendations I got from family/friends. I'm not sure yet which would be a better choice.

If any of you care to comment on which you'd go with and why, it would be appreciated. I just want to make sure that I get a second opinion I can trust and that it correlates with the opinion of the doctor I'm seeing now. I don't want to find out later down the road that something was overlooked, something was misdiagnosed, or that I had newer less extreme treatment options that were never mentioned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Aymz Blog