About Me

My Photo
Initially diagnosed June 4, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage II,Grade II tumor size: 2-3 cm node positive ER/PR postive HER2 Neu - negative Current Diagnosis: Metastatic Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 Mets: Scalp/skin, Liver, Spine, Bone ER/PR + HER2/NEU -

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Another Disappointing Reconstruction Consult

I had a consult with Dr. Duffy in Dallas today. He is the only one in DFW area that offers any alternatives for reconstructive surgery (other than implants and TRAM flap). He was sad to say that I was not a good candidate for DIEP or SIEA. He said my best chance was SGAP, but that he had only done a few of these and didn't feel comfortable with doing mine. It looks like I'm either going to have to deal with implants or have my reconstruction done at MD Anderson or in Louisiana (that's where there are several doctors who invented these types of procedures and they tend to train all the others). At least this guy seemed like he was upfront and honest, and I would recommend him to anyone who has enough belly fat for DIEP (that is why I wasn't a good candidate, lack of belly fat).

On a good note though, I did finally get in touch with the advocate at MD Anderson today. After leaving 3 messages over the last week, I finally managed to get someone to page her and get her to the phone. I discussed all my issues and what I was expecting (both when I went down there July 1st and on August 11th) and she is going to check to see what is currently being done, what happened back on July 1 that caused the confusion and make sure things go as I am expecting on August 11. I should hear back from her within 24 hrs.. we'll see.

Tomorrow I have my port surgery. Jesse was going to with me, but he received a call from his boss today so he is going to have to go into work. Jaclyn has agreed to go with me. I'm a little nervous about this one as it is my FIRST surgery ever. I hear it leaves a nasty 1-1/2"-2" scar, too. I think by the time they are done with all these surgeries I'm going to resemble Frankenstein.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Aymz Blog